Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Garbage - "Not Your Kind of People"

Let me start this review of the Garbage album “Not Your Kind of People” by saying I am a little biased about the group; Shirley Manson to be specific. A long…long time ago I was watching MTV’s 120 Minutes. For you youngsters, that was when MTV played music videos and 120 Minutes was the more favorable alternative music show. So when I was glued to the tube one weekend, I saw a video from a band called Angelfish, which was Shirley’s first venture into a solo-type project. The lyrics were overly simple, but I instantly became irrevocably smitten with the red headed lead singer. As the Fates would have it, Steve Marker was watching that same show and called Shirley to come do some vocals for a new band a few guys were starting called Garbage.
Flash forward about 13 years and the band released their fifth studio album “Not Your Kind of People.” With outstanding musicians and producers in Duke Erikson, Steve Marker, and Butch Vig, Garbage, along with Shirley, is a terrific outlet for these four great minds. On the new album, Garbage sticks to what they know best. It's something I call dark pop, meaning most of the songs are fairly upbeat, but there is a melancholic or sinister tinge to them. The melodies are tight and the musical riffs, at times, are thoroughly hypnotic. The strong vocals often have a free-form lilt throughout the album and really put the sweet icing on the cake. I've listened to this album quite a few times over the last couple of days. Two of the highlights for me so far are “Blood for Poppies” and the title track. But I wouldn’t hesitate to include nearly all the other tracks on one of my infamous mix CD’s. The short and sweet answer for “Will I like this album?” is, if you’ve ever liked any Garbage song, then yes. You will like it. Buy it and love it as much as I love Shirley Manson...I mean...uh, this album. 

Get your Garbage fix at their website. http://www.garbage.com/



See more reviews at www.talkingsimian.com

  1.Automatic Systematic Habit  
  2.Big Bright World
  3.Blood for Poppies  
  4.Control
  5.Not Your Kind of People  
  6.Felt
  7.I Hate Love  
  8.Sugar
  9. Battle in Me
10.Man on a Wire 
11.Beloved Freak  

No comments:

Post a Comment