Sunday, October 11, 2015

Boundary Breaks 2013 Reserve Riesling No. 198

I am officially adding the Finger Lakes region of New York to my list of wine areas that I need to visit. I have never been there and, up until today, I have never even had a wine from that region. Holy Cow! I’ve been missing out. What was it that made me put New York on my life’s itinerary? The wine in the title: Boundary Breaks Reserve Riesling.

Boundary Breaks is close to Lodi, New York. The vineyard is situated on a fertile plot of land that sits on the eastern shore of Seneca Lake. A wicked long time ago, glaciers etched the landscape in that area producing deep trenches that water still flows through today. The vineyard sits in between a couple of these “breaks” that cut through the terrain. The cooler climate in this area lends itself to growing flavor-packed Riesling grapes and perfumed Gewurztraminer.

The multi-generational crew at Boundary Breaks has taken great pains to figure out which grapevines grow in which soils in the vineyards. They have several Geisenheim clones from the Geisenheim Grape Breeding Institute in Rheingau. The uber-smart people there have created some wonderful hybrids and clones of vines from all over the place. The grapevines that Boundary Breaks chose were from Neustadt in central Germany. The accumulated knowledge of everyone’s trials and errors resulted in one of the best Rieslings I’ve ever had; No. 198 Reserve Riesling.


The 198 is the clone from which this single vineyard Riesling was made. Its color was pretty much like every other Riesling, a soft, pale yellow. That’s where the similarities ran out. Unlike some of the Rieslings I’ve tried in the past, this one didn’t have an oily feel or a cloying sweetness. It was clean, slightly crisp and completely delicious. I tasted mild fruits like passion fruit and Porter peach. It might sound weird, but I tasted a honeyed tea on the finish. I haven’t tried all the Rieslings in the world but I’ve tried a heckuva lot of them and this was as close to perfect as I’ve tasted. I would drink this with spicy Thai food, sushi, Buffalo wings, bagels with lox and cream cheese, or a fruit-based dessert like pie. This was truly a world class wine from a hopefully up and coming wine region and vineyard. Cheers.

Go see more of these folks at boundarybreaks.com

Go see what else is going on at www.talkingsimian.com


No comments:

Post a Comment