Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mustang Summer Lager

I recently picked up a couple of mixed six packs of beer at my favorite liquor store, Grand Spirits in Grove, OK. Nine of the twelve were summer seasonal brews. One that I found very tasty was Mustang Summer Lager. To get the best out of a lager, you're supposed to use the proper glass and serve it at the proper temperature. I don't care much for that snobbery anymore, so I grabbed a bottle from the fridge and chose my favorite Samuel Smith pint glass (British pint, a little bigger) and poured a tall glass of golden summer. I was hot and tired so the beer was looking perfect, cold and inviting. The light golden color and a foamy white head was slowly drawing a smile on my face. I hucked the bottle into the recycle bin and sat down to a fantastic bright and clear lager. Without going into boring detail about every faint ester I tasted in the beer, I'll hit the high points. This Mustang had a sweeter style malt, flowery hops that weren't strong at all, and a hint of lemon grass and citrus. While you're drinking this beer, if you can't picture yourself sitting in a chaise longue by the pool or under an umbrella by the lake, then you have obviously lost all the imagination that God gave you.
This beer was born and developed at Mustang's headquarters in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. They do what dozens of smaller beer companies do, they contract brew with larger breweries like Point Brewery in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. This means that the big guys with all the cool equipment get paid to produce Mustang's beer for them. The recipe, ingredients, people and preparations are all sourced by an Oklahoman, but the equipment is not. So calling this an Oklahoma beer is mostly right. I consider it totally an Oklahoma beer. And a damn good one at that. Enjoy some soon, because when summer starts to wane, so will this great lager until next season.

http://www.mustangbeer.com/



See more reviews at www.talkingsimian.com


No comments:

Post a Comment